Monday, July 11, 2005

Wuss Coast Trail

So, as of today, I think that I've spent more days preparing for this hike than I'm going to spend actually doing the hike. C'est la vie. Or, c'est la vie d'une personne anal-retentif. It might shock some of yous out there to know that despite my absent-minded, disorganized appearance, I'm actually a list-making, -checking, and -doublechecking FREAK. A super-freak, you might even say. The kind you don't take home to mother (I'm Rick James, BITCH!).

Anyway, if you broke it all down Mastercard-style, it would look like this:

Reservation fee: $25
Trail Use Permit: $90
Ferry fees: $28
Fancy organic dehydrated food made by hippies: $50
Regular, non-hippy food: $100
Seven different trips to MEC (pronounced "meck" in Ontario and "M-E-C" in BC) - easily the GDP of a small breakaway Soviet republic
Amount spent at 20-odd other stores located around the three different MEC locations visited, which we went to but wound up going back to MEC anyway, because of a)better selection; b)better prices; and c)we are powerless before the almighty MEC and its irresistible appeal to stylish outdoorsy people, or people who want to be stylish and outdoorsy: $47.12
Completing the WCT without being eaten by a wild creature, or getting into a deathmatch with Hans and Olga over the last remaining campsite (during which we will surely be bested by their incomperable efficiency) or being abandoned in a flood plain by travelling companions who are tired of participating in the eternal debate of "Last Woman Standing: Buffy the Vampire Slayer vs. Xena: WarriorPrincess", and how that depends on Xena's weapons and which season of Buffy you're talking, 'cause like, season one Buffy would get her ass KICKED: priceless. Unlikely, but priceless.

I'll prolly be on the trail next Tuesday, so if I don't post on time, don't break out the sack cloths and ashes quite yet - give me until Wednesday at least.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Laura Floyd. Erin Gray here. Word has it that your on the Coast. Word also has it that I'm on the Coast. (I don't really know, I'm still checking that one out). Anyways, in between your amazing feats of hiking strength do you think you'd have a moment for lil' old me??? I ran into Frances Cowley at my work the other day and she said I should call Adam so I think we should all try to get together. Ideas???

Ok, good luck on the trail. Over and out.
-Erin