Monday, October 02, 2006

What have they done to my brain?

Normally a two-week (or more) hiatus would mean that I did something really awesome or exciting...alas, that is not the case. I have been, for lack of a better term "buckling down". "Hitting the books". "Being a goddamn student again". Seeing as I have been coasting along in "adult" mode for almost three years now, shifting back into "student" was is proving to be a challenge - you could say I ground the gears on the transmission of my life, and now mom won't let me take the car out again until I learn to use the clutch of life transitions properly. Or something.


Actually, it's not all that bad, and it's downright enjoyable in certain aspects. But there are definitely some notable differences, such as:


The death of the 9-to-5. Okay, maybe somedays it was 8-6, and others it was 9:30-3:30, but the point is, there was a pretty marked distinction between work and non-work, in terms of time and space. I've been struggling to keep that distinction, and the guilt-free reality TV watching it implies, but we'll see how long that lasts.


Everyday is casual Friday! This one's a bit of a mixed blessing. On the one hand, I love wearing jeans everyday. On the other hand, 2+ years of professional work means I only own two pairs of jeans suitable for non-yardwork-related activities. Not that that would have stopped me as an undergrad, but now I am old and uptight, I guess.


People ask for my opinion! Again, a mixed bag. At my job, it didn't happen much, 'cause quite frankly, my opinion was irrelevant. Which it still is, only now I am being graded on it.


Reading is a chore again! The job years were a book-lover's dream - now I am reading 10 times as much, and (of course) being graded on it. I do actually enjoy most of my readings, though, I just don't like the terror that sinks in when I am halfway through one particularly interesting article and realize that I have 12 MORE TO GO IN TWO DAYS, and that MY NOTES ARE INCOMPLETE and dammit if I have to read one more POST-MARXIST CRITIQUE OF ANYTHING I am going to need a WAAAY STRONGER DRINK, which leads me to:


Drinking in the afternoon is okay again! Is it noon yet? Who cares, nobody's juding you! Rampant alcoholism and unabashed binge-drinking is both accepted and expected!


And on that note - why yes. Yes it is past noon. Now if you'll excuse me, I have a date with 200 pages of feminist discourse and a bottle of dry gin...

7 comments:

anna said...

you're back in school! cool :) what are you studying?

Payton said...

Well, since feminist discourse made it okay for us to drink in bars, it's only fair that we celebrate that. Which reminds me. Before I write my proposal, I have an open container of red wine I should really finish.

megan said...

I guess when I pull on my slacks/trousers/thing with a ridgid waistband, skip the martini at lunch (more than I can say for my boss), fall in to a more-or-less predictable sleep/work/playtime routine, and read trashy novels I got on sale at Munro's... I should be super happy. But I can say that I truly miss university, sportin' comfies and being herded around daily life by assignments I couldn't understand even after I had completed them. Your notable differences are certainly excellent points to ponder. THATS RIGHT I SAID PONDER. Obviously these slacks have cut off circulation to my funny bone.

godbout said...

Nail on the head, Floyd. I'm finally back this year too. I had to hit up Superstore for a new t-shirt wardrobe and have also enjoyed getting blitzed at campus pubs before happy hour even starts. What/where are you studying?

Courtney said...

I need slacks. Maybe I can borrow some of yours? Considering the last job I had where I actually had to dress professional was um, 5 years ago, the only pair I have are black and from high school band concerts. To clarify, I don't actually have a job now, but am starting to attend "professional" events where "networking" and "schmoozing" (maybe the same thing) occur. The idea is this grad school thing will eventually lead to the career thing, so it may be in my best interests to look the part. Eek. My anti-conformist tendencies are causing small panics. Slacks? I don't wear slack. I wear quick dry pants, jeans and chords. Not slacks. Hm.

AMac said...

Oh lord? A post-marxist critique of anything would require alcohol in my books. Have you actually explained to anyone that most theorists are some ungodly number of posts past post-modernism (and then they name it something like post-positivist realism)?
Now that I got that out of my system (yes, I'm just being a snob because part of me misses it a lot), school is definitely more stressful than work, but the never underestimate the joy of being able to set your own schedule.
And just so you can stick out your chin and grin, allow me to let you in on one of the benefits of a graduate degree than no one tells you about: it's possible to find a job where you get paid for your very own opinion on things. For serious. It's amazing.

Floyd said...

AMac, that's the most inspiring thing I've heard all day. I should put that on a little sticker on my notebook as a reminder of what the hell I was thinking...