Thursday, October 30, 2008

Fun with Fractions: Cabinet Shuffle Edition

Previous: 7/31=23%
Current: 11/38=29%

Stephen Harper: “Okay, I’ll add more women to my cabinet, but only if I can add almost as many more dudes.”

Had he kept to his previous cabinet size and appointed women instead of men:

11/31=35.5%

Believe it or not, my beef isn’t with Harper on this one (well, not completely). He’s not the one out there trumpeting the increased representation of women in his cabinet. He and his party are very open about their stance on women’s equality, which is that they don’t give a flying prairie oyster about it.

But at the very least, maybe media outlets could do a little math (gasp!) to put things into context. Pretty please?

RELATED POSTS:


3 comments:

Dale said...

Lol the media can't do math ! One day when I'm King Lord of the Universe I'll make sure that the media is unbiased and does not sensationalize news, or include fluffy feel good/bad/whatever news.

Or if you become Queen Lord of the Universe before I do then you can do it for me and smote John Stossel, smote him good ;D

Laura Payton said...

Dude, everyone knows we go into journalism because we can't do math. Now, context, on the other hand, is something we're supposed to be able to do.

floyd said...

You need some flunkies to do fractions! Heh. Normally it's not such a big deal, but I got so sick of all the "Ooh, Harper has the most women EVAH when basically he did it by having the same number of women as Paul Martin but one fewer man in cabinet.

And after I find some fraction flunkies, I am totally smiting John Stossel. Unless you get there first, Dale.